Are you: Living in a vehicle? With friends? Outdoors? Homeless? Facing domestic violence?
If you are a family (may require dependent children to access services):
- In Somerville call The Somerville Homeless Coalition: 617-623-6111.
- In Cambridge, call The Cambridge Multi-Service Center: 617-349-6340. or Go directly to Chelsea DTA/DHCD at 80 Everett Ave (across from Market Basket) for shelter services or Emergency Assistance.
- If denied, get a notice to appeal and contact Cambridge/Somerville Legal Services at 617-603-2700
If you are an individual adult:
- In Somerville, contact Somerville Homeless Coalition at 617-623-6111.
- Women seeking emergency shelter contact Catholic Charities, St. Patrick’s shelter at 617-628-3015.
- In Cambridge, call Cambridge Multi-Service Center at 617-349-6340.
If you need a shelter bed tonight: call CASPAR Emergency Service Center at 617-661-0600 or go to 240 Albany St. (men and women, for active substance abusers) or Salvation Army at 617-547-3400 or go to 402 Massachusetts Ave. (men only, clean and sober).
For veterans, contact Mass Bay Veterans Center at 617-627-9712 at 2 North St. in Somerville.
If you are a youth or young adult:
Age 17 or younger: Call Bridge over Troubled Waters’ Runaway and Homeless Youth at 617-423-9575.
Age 18-22 in high school, homeless or at risk of homelessness: Call Youth Harbors at 781-697-0788
Age 18-22 not in school: Call ShortStop at 617-776-3377 for transitional housing.
Age 18-24 not in school: Call Y2Y Cambridge at 617-864-0795
Resource Guide for all People Homeless in Somerville and Cambridge: http://somervillefoodsecurity.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Somerville-Resource-Guide.pdf
More Emergency Resources from the Somerville Public Library: http://www.somervillepubliclibrary.org/services/information-resources-lists/emergency-resources
Guide for Obtaining Housing Assistance: https://www.mass.gov/service-details/a-guide-to-obtaining-housing-assistance
Find accessible, affordable housing: https://www.massaccesshousingregistry.org/
Are you worried about becoming homeless, struggling to pay rent, being evicted, in an abusive relationship, or have a change in household income (death of spouse, job loss):
- In Cambridge, call Just A Start Homelessness Prevention at 617-918-7518 or Cambridge Multi-Service Center at 617-349-6340
- In Somerville, call CAAS Homelessness Prevention Program at 617-623-7370 or sign up online at https://www.caasomerville.org/homelessness-prevention-program, or call Somerville Homeless Coalition’s Rapid Response or PASS programs at 617-623-6111.
If you are experiencing domestic violence, call SAFELINK at 877-785-2020 for help finding shelter and support.
To find more domestic violence support in your area see here: http://www.janedoe.org/find_help/search
For one-on-one help seeking a job in Somerville contact the Somerville Community Corporation: Email Blake Roberts Crall, or call her at 617.776.5931, ext. 233.
Job Search & Money Management Resources from the Somerville Public Library: http://www.somervillepubliclibrary.org/services/job-search-money-management
Tax Preparation Resources from the Somerville Public Library: http://www.somervillepubliclibrary.org/services/tax-preparation
Are your lights or heat going to be (or have been) shut off? See your PRC for help to keep your lights and heat on. If you are eligible for MassHealth, TANF, WIC, SSI, SNAP or EAEDC, you can save money on your utilities. Contact The Fuel Assistance Program in Cambridge (serving both Cambridge and Somerville) at 617-349-6252 to set up an appointment, or go online: https://www.cambridgema.gov/DHSP/contactforms/fuelassistance.
Find Family Resources around food, immigrant services, health & mental health, housing/shelter, legal support and emergency services from Somerville Hub: http://somervillehub.org/family-resources
If you’re pregnant, or have a child under five, you may be able to get food support from WIC, call 617-575-5330.
- Need legal help? Use Mass Legal Help to find legal assistance
- In Cambridge or Somerville? Call Cambridge and Somerville Legal Services (CASLS), 617-603-2700 617-494-1757 (TDD)
- Law information from the Somerville Public Library: http://www.somervillepubliclibrary.org/services/information-resources-lists/law-information
Do you have a problem getting to the doctor or getting medicine?
Call for free or low-cost rides:
- Ask your PRC or provider for a referral to the MassHealth Transportation Program.
- CHA Medical Access: 617-522-3159, call several days before your appointment.
- MBTA The Ride: First time users must call Eligibility Center: 617-337-2727. For existing users to book a ride: Greater Lynn Senior Services (GLSS): 888-319-7433 OR Veterans Transportation Services (VTS): 877-765-7433.
- SCM Transportation: 617-625-1191, through Cambridge and Somerville Councils on Aging (60+).
Health Care Resources from the Somerville Public Library: http://www.somervillepubliclibrary.org/services/information-resources-lists/healthcare
Somerville Public Library Resources: http://www.somervillepubliclibrary.org/services