Skip to content

Sign Up For Benefits

Massachusetts and Somerville offer benefits to help you buy the food you need to nourish yourself and your household.  Scroll or click below to learn more about SNAP and WIC.



Did you know? The Massachusetts Legislature recently approved money to offer SNAP benefits to more categories of lawfully present immigrants. Learn more here.

Sign Up for Food Benefits

Apply for SNAP or WIC to receive monthly benefits
to buy food at grocery stores and farmers markets.

Need Help Applying?
Contact a service provider in Somerville for help!

  • Contact the City of Somerville Health and Human Services: Click here for online referral or call 617-625-6600 x 4341 (Menny), x 4317 (Jacquelyn), or x 2346 (Lara)
  • For application help and questions about immigration status or public charge, contact Chemaly at Project SOUP (617-623-6111 x 117).
  • Are you 60+? Contact SCES (617-628-2601) or Council on Aging (617-625-6600 x 2300).
  • Community Action Agency of Somerville (CAAS) can also help with benefit applicaitons; contact Michael (617-955-6200).
  • Contact the Project Bread Food Source Hotline for support in 180 languages.                     

SNAP/Food Stamps


SNAP gives you money for food that you can prepare at home. SNAP stands for the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program, formerly Food Stamps. Each month, money is added onto a special debit card called and EBT card. You can use the card to buy food at many grocery stores, bodegas, or farmers’ markets.

APPLY FOR SNAP NOW- at DTA Connect on your computer or smartphone. You can use the drop-down menu at the top to switch your language. You can also apply by phone through the DTA assistance line: (877) 382-2363.
You can start an application with only a name and address. Later on, you will need to provide:

  • proof of identity (e.g. drivers license or passport)
  • proof of income (e.g. paystubs or a self-declaration)
  • proof of MA residency (e.g lease, utility bill, or other official mail)

You should know your expenses, such as rent, utilities, and medical expenses, but proof is usually not required.

WIC (Women, Infants, and Children)



WIC gives you money for food that you can prepare at home, but it differs from SNAP as there are nutrition guidelines on the types of food that qualify for the program. WIC is accepted at all local grocery stores, and items that are WIC-eligible are marked on each shelf.

  • You DO NOT need to have a social security number to receive WIC
    and receipt of WIC will not count against you in future immigration
  • Check the program eligibility criteria here. 
  • Call the Somerville office at (617) 575-5330. Leave a message with your name and phone number and they will follow up with you. Our WIC office speaks many languages!

Summer P-EBT 

Summer P-EBT is a federal food assistance program for eligible school children to receive nutrition benefits loaded onto EBT cards that are used to purchase groceries when schools are closed for the summer. Summer P-EBT is available to all K-12 students in MA who attend a school where every student receives free meals or K-12 students who were approved by their school for free or reduced-price meals. 

You can apply directly to SNAP and WIC here!

Get To Food or Get Food to You

Get transportation to food or explore options
for having food delivered to you.

Use Food Benefits

Find places to use your food benefit and learn how to make the most of them.

Other Resources

Find resources beyond food.